Agreement to Arbitrate Claims; Waiver of Jury Trial.
By agreeing to these Terms, both you and Next Gen Coalition are waiving the right to a jury trial on any disputes that may arise.
Except for any disputes, claims, suits, actions, causes of action, demands or proceedings (collectively, “Disputes”) arising out of or related to a violation of Section 7 or Disputes in which either party seeks to bring an individual action in small claims court or seeks injunctive or other equitable relief for the alleged unlawful use of intellectual property, including, without limitation, copyrights, trademarks, trade names, logos, trade secrets or patents, you and Next Gen Coalition agree to arbitrate all disputes between you and us. If a Dispute arises between you and us relating to the Site or these Terms, you and we agree that the Dispute shall be resolved by final and binding arbitration administered by the American Arbitration Association under its rules for consumer arbitrations (“AAA Rules”).
You and Next Gen Coalition agree that each party will notify the other party in writing of any arbitrable or small claims Dispute within thirty (30) days of the date it arises, so that the parties can attempt in good faith to resolve the Dispute informally. Notice to Next Gen Coalition shall be sent by certified mail or courier to 500 North Capitol, NW, Washington, DC 20001. Your notice must include (a) your name, postal address, telephone number, the email address you use or used for your Account and, if different, an email address at which you can be contacted, (b) a description in reasonable detail of the nature or basis of the Dispute, and (c) the specific relief that you are seeking. Our notice to you will be sent electronically in accordance with Section 3, and will include (x) our name, postal address, telephone number and an email address at which we can be contacted with respect to the Dispute, (y) a description in reasonable detail of the nature or basis of the Dispute, and (z) the specific relief that we are seeking. If you and Next Gen Coalition cannot agree how to resolve the Dispute within thirty (30) days after the date notice is received by the applicable party, then either you or Next Gen Coalition may, as appropriate and in accordance with this section, commence an arbitration proceeding or, to the extent specifically provided for in this section, file a claim in court.
You and we agree to the following rules relating to any arbitration proceeding:
- You and Next Gen Coalition waive any right to bring such claims before any court of law. Rights that you would have if you went to court, such as access to discovery, may be unavailable or limited in arbitration.
- The venue for all Disputes arising under these Terms shall be in Washington, DC, but you and we may agree to conduct the arbitration by telephone, online and/or solely based on written submissions. You hereby waive any right to claim that such location is an inconvenient forum and covenant not to sue us in any other forum.
- The arbitrator will have the power to grant whatever relief would be available in court under law or in equity (including attorney’s fees) and any award of the arbitrator will be final and binding on each of the parties. The arbitrator will not, however, have the power to award punitive or exemplary damages, the right to which each party hereby waives. The arbitrator also does not have the power to vary the class action waiver provisions.
- The arbitrator will apply applicable law and the provisions of these Terms and the failure to do so will be deemed an excess of arbitral authority and grounds for judicial review.
- These Terms affect interstate commerce and that the enforceability of this Section shall be both substantively and procedurally governed by and construed and enforced in accordance with the Federal Arbitration Act, 9 U.S.C. § 1 et seq. (the “FAA”), to the maximum extent permitted by applicable law.
- Any judgment on the award rendered by the arbitrator may be entered in any court of competent jurisdiction.
- Barring extraordinary circumstances, the arbitrator will issue a decision within 120 days from the date the arbitrator is appointed, which may be extended 30 days in the interests of justice.
- All arbitration proceedings will be closed to the public and confidential and all records relating thereto will be permanently sealed, except as necessary to obtain court confirmation of the arbitration award.
- The award of the arbitrator will be in writing and will not include any statement setting forth the reasons for the disposition of any claim.
Either you or we may seek an injunction at any time from any court of competent jurisdiction as necessary to protect the rights or property of you or us pending the completion of arbitration.
Payment of all filing, administration and arbitrator fees will be governed by the AAA Rules. If, however, you are able to demonstrate that the costs of arbitration will be prohibitive for you as compared to the costs of litigation, Next Gen Coalition will pay as much of the filing, administration and arbitrator fees as the arbitrator deems necessary to prevent the arbitration from being cost-prohibitive for you. If the arbitrator determines that the claim(s) you assert in the arbitration are frivolous, you agree to reimburse Next Gen Coalition for all fees associated with the arbitration that Next Gen Coalition paid on your behalf which you otherwise would be obligated to pay under the AAA Rules.
If any term, clause or provision of this section is held invalid or unenforceable, it will be so held to the minimum extent required by law, and all other terms, clauses and provisions of this section will remain valid and enforceable. Further, the waivers set forth in this section are severable from the other provisions of these Terms and will remain valid and enforceable, except as prohibited by applicable law.